of our land, unfiltered
Soalheiro : : Wine
Soalheiro Terramatter Alvarinho BIO 2018
Soalheiro Terramatter is entirely different from other wines in the Soalheiro family. It is both a return to our natural origins and a look into the future. Produced with the least possible intervention in the vineyards and vinification, Terramatter is an original expression of our land. Intense in colour, aromatically expressive, and complex on the palate, it maintains a marked personality and distinctive profile. The wine’s partial malolactic fermentation in chestnut barrels and early harvest are fundamental factors determining its personality. We recommend smoothly shaking the bottle before drinking to homogenise the fine lees on the bottom for an entirely different drinking experience!
Region: Monção and Melgaço, Vinho Verde DOC
Alcohol (%): 12,5
Total Acidity (g/dm3): 5,0
Residual Sugar: Dry
Grape Varieties: Alvarinho
Volatile Acidity (g/dm3): 0,38
(The values are approximate)
Its maturation on fine lees and sharp acidity make Terramatter a bold wine that begs to be paired with food. We suggest enjoying this wine with fatty fish, cooked shellfish, cured meats, lamb, turkey, roasted root vegetables, and anything in a cream sauce or with fungi. Its flavour and texture also pair perfectly with Asian or Mediterranean gastronomies.
Soalheiro Terramatter has an intense hay colour. As it is an unfiltered wine, it is cloudy but can be cleared if decanted. The wine has a rustic and complex flavour while still being vibrant and fresh. The finish is slightly vegetal, yet silky and smooth. By gently stirring the bottle before serving, incorporating the fine lees, the wine can have even more volume in the mouth.
The Alvarinho grapes grow in a unique microclimate. The Monção and Melgaço region, at the northernmost point of Portugal, is protected by a range of mountains. This creates the perfect rainfall, temperature, and sunshine conditions needed for ideal ripening of Alvarinho. Soalheiro Terramatter is produced from the Quinta de Soalheiro vineyards. These vines are grown using practices that support biodiversity and the viticultural ecosystem. The vineyards are certified organic and promote environmental sustainability.
Following hand harvest, the Alvarinho grapes undergo three distinct production processes. The results are then blended to create Soalheiro Terramatter. One part of the blend ferments in stainless steel tanks. Another part undergoes both alcoholic and malolactic fermentations in traditional chestnut barrels from the Minho region. The third part is fermented in concrete eggs where it also experiences natural Bâtonnage. After blending the three parts, the final wine is bottled without filtering.
Internationaler Bioweinpreis 2021
Julia Harding MW - jancisrobinson.com 2020
90 Robert Parker points
Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate 2019
International Organic Wine Award 2017
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2019 was awarded Gold Medal by internationaler Bioweinpreis 2021 (Germany, 2021)
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2018 wins 17 points awarded by Julia Harding MW - jancisrobinson.com (UK, 2020)
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2018 received 90 Parker points from Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate (USA, 2019)
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2016 received the International Organic Wine Award 2017
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2015 receives 92 points by Wine Enthusiast (New York)
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2015 wins 17 points in a 50 wines selection by Jancis Robinson (UK)
- Soalheiro Terramatter 2014 is on the list of the “Year's Best” in WINE magazine – A Essência do Vinho and the “Best of Portugal from the Alvarinho Vinho Verde Region” in Revista de Vinhos magazine (PT, 2015)