Soalheiro : : Wine
Soalheiro Granit – Alvarinho 2020
Rightfully bearing the name Granit, this wine is all about minerality. It offers less fruit and more acidity, revealing an unusual dimension of Alvarinho from the mountain. Its elegance and crisp texture make Soalheiro Granit a very gastronomic wine.
Region: Monção and Melgaço, Vinho Verde DOC
Alcohol (%): 13,0
Total Acidity (g/dm3): 6,1
Residual Sugar: Dry
Grape Varieties: Alvarinho
Volatile Acidity (g/dm3): 0,38
(The values are approximate)
With its mineral flavours and bracing acidity, Soalheiro Granit especially complements Mediterranean cuisine such as seafood, grilled fish, or oven-baked fatty fish. It also pairs well with white and smoked meats, mature cheeses, or delicate Asian dishes such as sushi or dumplings.
Granit has a bright, lemon-yellow colour, exhibiting elegant aromas with more mineral notes. The taste is crisp, dry, and persistent, with more earthy and stony flavours. There is a sensation of saltiness on the palate, reflecting the impact of the granite soils on Alvarinho.
Granit is made from Alvarinho grapes from a specific selection of small vineyards planted in granitic soil. Today, these vineyards lie at around 400 meters in altitude in the sub-region of Monção and Melgaço. As the vineyard placement increases in altitude, the fruity characteristics of Alvarinho give way to more acidity and mineral notes. The parcels are chosen due to the minerality and less fertile qualities of the soil, causing the roots of the Alvarinho grapevines to root deep in the mountain slopes to find nutrients.
The grapes from these high-altitude vineyards are harvested by hand. After pressing, and before fermentation, the must is clarified. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel vats at a higher temperature than is usual for white wine (22°C). This ensures that Alvarinho’s naturally fruity character does not outshine the delicate minerality that we look for in this wine. Bâtonnage and ageing on the fine lees improve the structure of the wine before its bottling.
92 Robert Parker points
Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate 2020
Julia Harding MW - jancisrobinson.com 2020
Wine & Spirits Magazine 2020
Adega Portugal 2020 - Wine Guide
Wine in Motion – Year’s Best Vinho Verdes 2019
Alvarinho de Oro
ALBARIÑOS AL MUNDO 2019
- Soalheiro Granit 2019 received 92 Parker points from Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate (USA, 2020)
- Soalheiro Granit 2018 wins 17,5 points awarded by Julia Harding MW - jancisrobinson.com (UK, 2020)
- Soalheiro Granit 2018 received 95 points from Wine & Spirits Magazine (USA, 2020)
- Soalheiro Granit 2018 received 93 points, being among the “Best of the Year” by the “Adega Portugal 2020” Wine Guide (Brazil, 2020)
- Soalheiro Granit 2018 received 95 points from Wine in Motion – “Year’s Best Vinho Verdes” (USA, 2019)
- Soalheiro Granit 2018 was awarded with “Alvarinho de Oro”, in "ALBARIÑOS AL MUNDO 2019" promoted by the União Espanhola de Catadores (Spain, 2019)
- Soalheiro Granit 2017 2017 received 91 Parker points from Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate (USA, 2019)
- Soalheiro Granit 2017 won a gold medal and is recognized as “Jury Selection” at TEXSOM International Wine Awards (USA, 2019)
- Soalheiro Granit 2017 award Gran Alvarinho de Oro, in "ALBARIÑOS AL MUNDO 2018" promoted by the União Espanhola de Catadores (Spain)
- Soalheiro Granit 2017 in the Best Portuguese Wines at Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards 2017 (Portugal)
- Soalheiro Granit 2016 in the Best Portuguese Wines at Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards 2017 (Portugal)