Soalheiro : : Wine
Soalheiro Reserva – Alvarinho 2017
Reserva started as an experiment in 1995, when Soalheiro was one of the first to explore the marriage between Alvarinho and French oak. After much experimentation, in 2006 we developed the style of Reserva that exists today. This wine reve als Alvarinho in its essence, as the used French oak barrels do not mask the characteristics of the grape variety. The nuances of the barrel are well integrated, complimenting the aroma and flavour of Alvarinho while adding a new dimension of structure and complexity.
Region: Monção and Melgaço, Vinho Verde DOC
Alcohol (%): 13,0
Total Acidity (g/dm3): 5,5
Residual Sugar: Dry
Grape Varieties: Alvarinho
Volatile Acidity (g/dm3): 0,48
(The values are approximate)
Soalheiro Reserva has enough character to be enjoyed with or without food. Due to its acidity and maturation in oak, it is a perfect wine to be paired with dishes traditionally more associated with red wines. When pairing with a meal, the best choices include fatty fish dishes, red meat, goat, lamb, turkey, duck, game dishes, chicken, and anything with mushrooms or in a cream sauce, but it also pairs well with Asian and Mediterranean gastronomies.
Reserva has an intense yellow to golden-yellow colour. On the nose are elegant and persistent aromas with undertones of barrel ageing, complemented by the ever-present freshness and fruit of the Alvarinho variety. The flavour is complex and full-bodied.
The Alvarinho grapes for Soalheiro Reserva come from vineyards in the valley, generally trained in an ascending system, exposing them to the sun and warmer temperatures. This gives the wine fewer aromatic components but more tannins and structure. This profile of Alvarinho is perfect for barrel fermentation, where the complexity associated with ageing is more important than aromatic intensity. The microclimate in this region is very particular, with mountains protecting the grapes from Atlantic influences.
The grapes are harvested by hand. After pressing, the must is clarified and then fermented with controlled temperature. Fermentation and ageing take place in French oak barrels with medium toast and a very fine grain. Each vintage, only 25% of the barrels are new. The rest are used from previous years, with some more than 20 years old. Several barrels were even used in the first experiments in 1995. Reserva ages in barrel for one year. The wine stays in contact with fine lees throughout ageing, and bâtonnage is performed to improve texture and complexity. This allows the aromatic identity of Alvarinho to be preserved, while also adding new dimension to the structure in the mouth.
92 Robert Parker Points
Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate 2020
Choice of the press 2020
Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards 2021
Best Portuguese Wines
Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards 2017
Adega Portugal 2020 - Wine Guide
Grandes Escolhas magazine 2019
Vinho Grandes Escolhas 2017
Grandes Escolhas’ Magazine
- Soalheiro Reserva 2018 received 92 Parker points from Mark Squires - The Wine Advocate (USA, 2020)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2018 was distinguished as “Choice of the press 2020” at Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards (Portugal, 2021)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2017 in the Best Portuguese Wines at Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards 2017 (Portugal, 2020)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2017 received 93 points, being among the “Best of the Year” by the “Adega Portugal 2020” Wine Guide (Brazil, 2020);
- Soalheiro Reserva 2017 received 18 points from Grandes Escolhas magazine (PT, 2019)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2016 was awarded ‘Vinho Grandes Escolhas 2017’ in the category 'White wines', a prize awarded by the ‘Grandes Escolhas’ Magazine (Portugal)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2016 - White Wine of the Year by the winemaker W-Anibal Coutinho (PT)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2015 in the Best Portuguese Wines at Grandes Escolhas Magazine Awards 2017 (Portugal)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2015 - best white wine with 19,5 points by Clube de Vinhos Portugueses. (Portugal)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2015 won ‘Prémio Excelência 2016’ by Revista de Vinhos (Portugal)
- Wine Enthusiast awarded Soalheiro Reserva 2015 with 92 points (New York)
- Soalheiro Reserva 2014 won the Excellence award: the highest award at the "Wine Oscars" gala of Revista de Vinhos magazine
- Soalheiro Reserva Alvarinho 2009 was awarded the DOP Gold medal by the jury of the Alvarinho International Wine Challenge 2011 (PT, 2011)
- The Best of 2008 - selected by Revista de Vinhos. The jury constituted by the editorial staff of Revista de Vinhos distinguished the Soalheiro Reserva 2006 produced by António Esteves Ferreira with the award of Excellence (PT, 2008)